We are looking for volunteers to help in our shop with taking care of the dogs, playing with them, feeding them as needed, going on walks as needed and giving them plenty of cuddles. This internship is an excellent way to learn more about dogs and their mannerisms, practice handling and get to know this type of business — plus we think animals teach you all types of other important life lessons. You will also have the potential to help with marketing, customer relations, business transactions, and store organization, depending on your area of interest. Though the internship is unpaid, there are areas of potential opportunity for the right person to pick up paid contract work (such as dog walking or cat care), or to stay on as a longer-term paid employee after the internship period is complete.
— Watching over daycare dogs to ensure their safety, health, and happiness. This includes understanding the temperament of each dog in your care; preventing scuffles or separating dogs that may not get along; playing with them; giving dogs a break as needed when they’re tired or annoyed; taking them for bathroom breaks in our yard and following processes to ensure all dogs have a chance to go on a regular, rotating basis
— Assisting dog groomers, storefront staff as needed. This may include helping to hold a dog while they get their nails clipped or taking a dog for a walk. Storefront projects may including distributing promotional materials, assisting a customer, or answering a phone call.
– Must be at least 17 years of age and enrolled in high school or college (or pursuing course work in the future)
– Must have some experience with animals, whether from owning your own dog or volunteering with animals in the past
– Must be able to work a set schedule most weekdays and/or weekends. We can work around your availability but must be able to determine your ongoing shifts once you’ve been hired.
– Must have reliable means of getting to our facility each work day — applicants who live within 30 minutes by train are preferred
– Must be conscientious and responsible about showing up on time, doing assigned work, communicating with us when problems or issues arise.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a note on why you’d like to volunteer and any relevant experience.